How to register with a GP in Royal Greenwich

Anyone can register with a GP surgery. You do not need proof of address or immigration status.
lady in GP waiting room

Registering with a GP

Find a GP that suits what you need. You can look up GP surgeries to see what they offer and how they compare.

Find a GP

You will need to fill in a form to register with a GP. You can ask the GP surgery for help filling in the form if you need it.

You can:

Looking for information ad advice about using GP services in Royal Greenwich? 

Contact Healthwatch Greenwich if you have a specific question about your GP, or need advice and information that is not available on our website.

Contact us

Can a GP surgery refuse to register me?

A GP surgery can refuse to register you because:

  • they are not taking any new patients
  • you live outside the practice boundary and they are not accepting patients from out of their area
  • you have been removed from that GP surgery register before
  • it's a long way from your home and you need extra care, for example home visits.

If you have problems registering with a GP surgery, call the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 22 33.

Registering with your GP: understanding your rights

Changing GP surgeries

You can change your GP at any time you wish without having to give a reason.

You do not need the consent of your GP to change GPs. When you have found another GP willing to accept you, you should contact them and ask if they will take you on

Problems with changing a GP

If you wish to change your GP, but can't find a new GP who will accept you, you should contact the South East London Clinical Commissioning Group, who should find you an alternative.

Registering with a GP under the Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) is designed to protect and empower people over 16 who are unable to make decisions about their care and treatment.

If a person is unable to register with a GP because they cannot make decisions about their care, registration can be done by:

  • a relative
  • the main carer
  • a lasting power of attorney
  • a person appointed by a court under the Mental Capacity Act

Using a GP surgery you're not registered with

You can contact any GP surgery if you need treatment and:

  • you're away from home
  • you're not registered with a GP surgery
  • it's a medical emergency

You might need to register as a temporary resident or permanent patient if you need treatment for more than 14 days.

You can register as a temporary resident for up to 3 months. You’ll still be registered with your usual GP surgery if you have one.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information