This information has been produced to help you understand everything you need to know about the way Healthwatch Greenwich collects, uses and shares personal data, what your legal rights are and how to exercise them.
We hope you’ll take some time to read this document; we’ve tried to keep it all as simple as possible and to avoid jargon, and we’ll make our best efforts to keep you informed if there are any changes to the way we process your personal data in the future.
Healthwatch Greenwich takes its responsibility of protecting your data very seriously and we do advise you get to know our practices – If there’s anything here you don’t understand or if you want to ask any questions, please feel free to contact us (details are at the end).
Who is the Data Controller?
We are Healthwatch Greenwich, a limited company registered in England.
Registered address: Gunnery House, 9-11 Gunnery Terrace, Royal Arsenal, London SE18 6SW
Registered number: 9891557
In this document Healthwatch Greenwich may be referred to as “we”, “us”, or “our”.
What kinds of personal data does Healthwatch Greenwich process?
Healthwatch Greenwich collects personal data for specific purposes; with that in mind we have created a list of the types of personal data that we may collect, either directly from yourself or from other sources, in order to achieve those purposes.
The kinds of personal data we may collect are:
- If you are a job applicant / Temporary or agency Staff / Volunteer / Intern, we may process these types of data: name, address, telephone, email, work and education history
- Service user, we may process these types of data: name, telephone, email
- Subscriber, we may process these types of data: email
- Volunteers, we may process these types of data: name, address, DOB, telephone, email, health information, ethnicity, sexuality
- Directors, we may process these types of data: Name, address, telephone, email, CVs
- Suppliers, we may process these types of data: name, address, telephone, email, bank details
- Sub-contractor, we may process these types of data: name, address, telephone, email, bank details
We are required by law to process personal data for purposes relating to our legal obligations, these include:
To provide for the organisations’ financial commitments, or to relevant financial authorities
To comply with regulatory requirements and any self-regulatory schemes
To carry out required business operations and due diligence (E.g. administration, reorganisations, security, investment or corporate/asset sales)
To cooperate with relevant authorities for reporting criminal activity, or to detect and prevent fraud
To investigate any insurance claims, claims of unfair dismissal, claims of any kind of harassment or of discrimination, or any other claim whereby the organisation may have to defend itself
Where we have received your consent to do so; Healthwatch Greenwich will use your personal data for the following purposes:
You may withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data for these purposes at any time; after a withdrawal of consent request is received, we may have to contact you to verify the request.
Withdrawing your consent for us to process your personal data will not affect the lawfulness of the processing beforehand.
We will also process personal data to achieve our various legitimate business interests; these are purposes that have been defined by us where we have balanced the necessity on our part to process the data for each purpose against your own expectations, interests and legal rights.
Our legitimate interests for processing personal data are:
To provide goods and services where it has been requested
To inform customers of other goods and services we provide or offers that may interest them
To send notification on subjects to individuals who have asked to be kept informed (i.e. subscribers)
To invite people to participate in research and surveys in fields and disciplines they are interested in
To improve the quality of the services offered, and to better understand customers’ needs by requesting feedback, or reviews of the services provided, or sending survey forms
To send notifications of any changes to the goods and/or services provided that may affect people
To understand the scale and range of the customer base; for statistical analysis and market research
To facilitate the completion of research initiatives
To provide reference information to third party organisations where requested, or where necessary
To improve the organisations website so content is delivered more efficiently
To enhance the security measures in place that protect data the organisation is responsible for
We may process personal data where it is necessary to protect your own, or another person’s, vital interests, or where it is necessary for the performance of tasks which are carried out in the public interest.
Where we process special categories of personal data other than when we have your consent to do so, we will rely on one or more of the following lawful basis:
It is necessary for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes
Where does Healthwatch Greenwich obtain personal data from?
- We will collect personal data directly from you in various ways. This could include when you complete an online form, or if you provide the data directly to a representative of Healthwatch Greenwich
We collect some personal data from publicly accessible sources such as:
- Looking at Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn to find out more about the people who engage with Healthwatch Greenwich
We also gather personal data by the following methods:
From technical functionality that gathers data automatically from your computer equipment when you visit our online platforms
From third-party organisations provided for a specific purpose; to deliver a product or service that has been requested
From local or national authorities provided for specific purposes
Who will Healthwatch Greenwich share your personal data with?
- In order to achieve the above stated purposes for which we process your personal data, we may have to share your personal data with some specific third-party organisations.
- We shall make all reasonable efforts to ensure that any third-party we share your personal data with is also compliant with data protection law
The third parties we may share your personal data with include:
Other members of a group of companies to which Healthwatch Greenwich belongs
Third party organisation acting as either data processers or data controllers where it is necessary to provide goods or services that have been requested, or to achieve our business purposes
Third party data processers or data controllers necessary to setup various resources
Regional and/or local government authorities
The specific types of third-party Healthwatch Greenwich may share your personal data with include:
- Any organisations funded by the NHS or local government department. Passing on complaints or concerns. Can also share data with other local community support groups
- Healthwatch Greenwich is not responsible for the data protection compliance of any of these third parties
- If we sell or reorganise our business, or if otherwise required by law or by an authorised regulator, we may transfer your personal data as a part of the general business data to the relevant parties
Where will Healthwatch Greenwich store your personal data?
- Healthwatch Greenwich will not transfer your personal data to any country outside the European Union (EU) other than those that have been granted an adequacy decision under the General Data Protection Regulation
- We may however share your personal data with third party organisations who then intend to transfer the data outside the EU. We shall take all reasonable measures to ensure those third parties are also compliant with data protection law
How long will Healthwatch Greenwich keep your personal data for?
- We will keep your personal data only for as long as required in order to achieve the purposes for which it was collected, in line with this privacy notice
The following criteria apply that determine the period for which we will store your personal data:
Until we are no longer required to do so in order to comply with any regulatory requirements or financial obligations that we are subject to
Where the lawful basis of our processing is based on protection of vital interests and insofar any relevant health and safety obligations apply, Healthwatch Greenwich may retain your personal data for up to 40 years
Your Rights, Our Responsibility
There are several rights granted to you immediately upon providing us with your personal information; some of these are mentioned above. We’d like you to know that at Healthwatch Greenwich we take your rights as a Natural Person seriously and will always conduct ourselves in a way that is considerate of our responsibility to serve your legal rights
The Right of Access
This grants you the right to confirm whether or not your personal data is being processed, and to be provided with relevant details of what those processing operations are and what personal data of yours is being processed
If you would like access to the personal data we have about you, we ask that you contact us by using our details below
The Right to Rectification
This one is fairly straight forward; if you notice that the data we have about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you may request we rectify the mistake. We will make every effort to respond to requests of this type immediately
The Right to Objection
The right to object is a basic freedom all democracies enjoy. If you wish to object to the way we use, or have used, your personal data you may do so freely
The Right to Portability
This is a legal right afforded to you that states we must pass on all of the details you have provided to us in a machine-readable format, either to your or to another provider of your choosing
The Right to Complain
- We will always try to maintain the highest standards and encourage the confidence our customers have in us as an organisation. In order that we can achieve this we do request that any complaints be first brought to our attention so we can properly investigate matters; if however you would like to complain about Healthwatch Greenwich to a supervisory authority you may do so by contacting the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113, or by visiting their website - https://ico.org.uk/concerns
Until we are no longer required to do so by any law it is subject to
Until all purposes for which the data was originally gathered have become irrelevant or obsolete
Until it has been requested that we no longer process the data and that it is erased; in some cases, where there is a remaining relevant or legal reason why we are required to keep this data, we may opt to restrict the amount of processing being conducted to what is absolute necessary rather than erase it
NHS Data Opt-Out
- Information about your health and care helps the NHS to improve your individual care, speed up diagnosis, plan your local services and research new treatments.
- In May 2018, the strict rules about how this data can and cannot be used were strengthened. You can choose whether your confidential patient information is used for research and planning.
- To find out more visit: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/
Healthwatch Greenwich contact details
Gunnery House, 9-11 Gunnery Terrace, Royal Arsenal, London SE18 6SW
020 8301 8340
Who is the Healthwatch Greenwich Data Protection Officer?
Ametros Group Ltd
Lakeside Offices, Thorn Business Park
Rotherwas Industrial Estate
T: 0330 223 2246