Do you have a relative or friend living in a care home? Do you have any worries or concerns?
Throughout the first national lockdown, Healthwatch Greenwich spoke to friends and relatives about their experiences with care homes, and keeping in touch with their loved ones. Relatives told us:
- They felt ‘left in the dark’ about how care homes were coping, and how they were responding to the pandemic
- Regular relative meetings held by care homes had stopped
- It was difficult to contact loved ones via technological means
Following this, we held a meeting with Care Home Managers and Royal Borough of Greenwich (RBG) to share this feedback. As a result:
- RBG supported care homes with restarting regular relative meetings and instructed all care homes to inform all relatives when and how scheduled visiting would take place
- RBG provided homes with iPads and Smart TVs, and contacted all care homes to find out what technological support they needed to aid communication between residents and visitors
In light of the Government’s announcement of a second national lockdown, Healthwatch Greenwich will be holding two virtual meetings to hear your thoughts, experiences and what changes you’d like to see with care homes as we enter winter.
Event dates and times:
Tuesday 8th December at 10:30 – 11:30am
Thursday 10th December at 15:30 – 16:30pm
How to register:
Alternatively, email email@example.com for details on how to join the call.